Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dot Project Crit Write-Up

I just realized that the little "Update Blog" line I have on my list of things to do will remain perpetually unchecked.
Ah well, on with the show.

The Crit/Dot Pics


I really enjoyed the crit day for our dot project. Even though Milah was half asleep the whole time. (Heh heh.) Can't blame her, she was up late doing something or other the night before. Still, she and the rest of my group were very helpful with criticizing the dot compositions I had laid out. (Even if the first thing they noticed was that one of my sets of dots looked quite a lot like two Mickey Mouse heads.) Here's some of the things they decided on regarding my dots.


  • Negative space ran about 50/50 through most of my compositions.
  • Lots of variety throughout all of my compositions - I didn't tend to favor a certain pattern.
  • I had a somewhat unique idea of allowing some of my dots to touch, though I kept them from overlapping.
  • My compositions seemed balanced between small dots and large dots.
  • I had multiple sizes of circles. I wasn't limited to, say, three specific sizes.
  • I need to make continuance a bit more obvious, something along the lines of a more distinct visual line.
EDIT: Let there be pics!


Behold, the final sixteen dots.

Although I stayed quiet the whole most of the crit, I certainly noticed a few things about my group in turn. First off, it seemed that I split the group decision on more than a few of my compositions. I take this to mean that I need to try to make the elements a bit more obvious. On the other hand, I certainly had quite a few of my compositions receive a unanimous vote of what the group thought they were. As an added bonus, they usually decided on what I had intended them to be. I suppose I have to see what I've done right in these, and try to replicate that effect across future compositions.

EDIT: And of course, the final four.


Here's the final four as chosen by my group. The top left is the representative for proximity, the top right is the representative for closure, the bottom left is the representative for continuance, and the bottom right is the representative for similarity. I agreed with the group decision on all but the top right, closure. I don't believe it adequately represents the principle, and so I chose a different picture as my representative of closure.



These are the final four pictures. I have substituted a hexagon made of six circles as closure instead of my group's choice in the critique. I felt that this picture best conveyed the principle of closure because it forms a recognizable shape when taken as a whole, more so than the picture my group chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment