Monday, September 20, 2010

Final Eight Squares + Self Crit


What exactly is it that sets these final eight sketches apart from the thumbnails that I made earlier?

...

I suppose if you knew, I wouldn't be writing this.

Playful

Let's see, top left - This symbol was the symbol of a certain group of a game that I played a while back, to be honest, it probably wouldn't mean anything to anyone who doesn't already know what it is. However, it reminded me of playful, and so I included it. (The reason that it's not one of the final two is exactly because it might not represent playful to anyone else.)

Second from the left, top row - It's an angular smiley face, really quite playful, and not in any sort of obviously structured pattern that might be mistaken for periodic.

Second from the right, top row - I had imagined this more as a square bouncing off the bottom of the frame, and so I included it as playful. However, upon thinking about it more, I decided that it didn't quite represent the kind of bounce I had imagined (I think it would need more frames, for those of you in animation).

Top right - It's Pac-Man. Unmistakable for anyone who has ever so much as heard of Pac-Man, which generally includes about everyone who knows what electricity is. I decided that this was my strongest representation of playful, and so included it as one of the two final productions.

Periodic

Bottom left - I imagined two parallel rows of shrinking squares. While is does have the pattern that I want a periodic composition to have, it didn't give me the idea of a repeating pattern, which was what else I was looking for in a final sketch.

Second from the left, bottom row - This one seemed structured to me at first, but after having thought about it for a little while, it actually seems a bit more playful than periodic. Although it does have uniform shapes, the middle square deviates from the pattern and both rotates and intersects, setting it too far apart from the squares above and below it.

Second from the right, bottom row - For anyone that plays shooter games - and probably a few others besides - this pictures will probably remind you of a set of crosshairs. That was exactly what I was going for. Initially, this was also a good idea for me. It had a nice symmetry to it, and I could imagine lines crisscrossing in an X across the picture, with good structure and uniformity, but I decided that it reminded me too much of a video game, which would fall under playful, for me.

Bottom right - I figured that this one perfectly represented periodic out of all the other sketches I had. With this picture, I imagined pulses of light/energy/whatever traveling along a predetermined path in evenly spaced intervals. A perfect representation of periodic, in my head, at least. As an added bonus, if you place it next to Pac-Man, it looks like a continuation of the dots he's eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment